Sunday, 7 August 2011

Glastonbury 1992, visits 12-18

1992 Glastonbury visits

This is still the year I visited most to date- 7 times! 

Tue 24th March 1992, visit 12

"Up at 5.15 to go to Glastonbury with Julie. Her dad gave us a lift to the station. We got the 7.25 train so were in Bristol in time for the 9.03 bus - arrived in Glastonbury at 10.15. We went up the Tor first but were defeated in the last 10 yards! Then we went to the Chalice Well gardens where lots of flowers were out. We went to Crystal Cave, then had broccoli crunch for lunch in Rainbow's End. Then did lots of shopping, with a tea break in Rainbow's End. We had a brief stop at the Abbey before getting the 4.19 bus. Got home about 8.10, had a cup of tea and a bath".

We went down my usual way by train and bus. It was sunny, cold and windy, too windy to make it all the way up the Tor. I took about 24 photos and bought a few things as usual!  Lots of cards, a pair of picture boots with the Tor on them which are still going strong 15 years later, Moon Flower sculpture by Phillipa Bowers and she gave me a small gold Gaia sculpture as a gift, both still on display in my bedroom. The man who owned Pandora at the time, James, was lovely. He knew his regular customers and always had a chat. he told me I have a rainbow aura. 

Tor, March 1992
Me windswept on the Tor!

Abbey, March 1992
Low wintery sun at the Abbey

Fri 8th May 1992, visit 13

"Got up at 5.30 but it was worth it - I went to Glastonbury! I got all my connections so was there at 10.15. It was too windy to go up the Tor so I walked round it instead. Spent quite a bit of time in the Chalice Well gardens  & went in the rural life museum where I had a cup of tea. Then I did my shopping, I had saved £70.00 for shoes, Glastonbury chalice and some Star Child oils. Had macaroni cheese and veg for lunch in Rainbow's end. Pandora had a beautiful pewter unicorn and they are reserving it for me. Had a wander round the Abbey and a cup of tea before getting the bus. Got home about 8.15, had a bath and fell into bed exhausted".

I bought cards as usual, and  a pair of picture shoes which again I still have. Also a Glastonbury Chalice made by Phillipa Bowers, and a pair of bronze Chalice Well earrings. It was too windy to go up the Tor again so I walked all the way round the bottom of it, following some of the paths of the labyrynth. 
May 1992

Path along the side of the Tor
May 1992
Display of Phillipa Bowers' sculptures in "The Goddess and the Green Man

Sat 6th June 2002 visit 14.

I went down by bus via the bus from Bath to Wells, where I changed for Glastonbury. It was a flying visit to collect the unicorn which was reserved for me, I spent the rest of the day in Wells.

"Woke at 5 again to go to Wells and Glastonbury. It was pouring when I set out. Got the 9.05 bus from Bath to Wells and changed straight onto a bus to G. I only had an hour there but I bought a few things, but best of all was my reason for going there, to collect my wrought iron unicorn. It is really beautiful with the Tor, moon stars and Chalice Well. I also bought two more small Phillipa Bowers' sculptures". 

After that I went back to Wells and spent the day there. The two sculptures were a small Goddess of the Tor and a pale turquoise Harvest Goddess. Once again I still have them- and the unicorn of course!

Unicorn from Glastonbury, June 1992
Not a very good photo- I'll have to try and remember to take another one- but this is the unicorn.

Wed 15th Jul 1992, visit 15

"Misjudged my alarm, it went off at 4.15. So I got up at 5.15 to go to Glastonbury. Journey was smooth, got 7.28 train from Didcot and 9.03 bus. Met a very nice lady called Mary on the bus and we travelled back together too. Got to Glastonbury about 10.20. Went up the Tor first & it was really uplifting up there, really good energies. Then I went to the Chalice Well gardens which were really peaceful, then up to Wearyall Hill. Did some shopping, had Greek cheese pie and salad in Rainbow's End then finished my shopping.  I spent ages in Pandora and Margaret Kimber. Had a cup of tea then went to the Abbey before getting the bus home. Journey home OK, I got the 6.15 train and was home just after 8".

I bought mainly cards and also an Egyptian cat sculpture in blue by Phillipa.
July 1992
This kitten was exploring, walking along a wall at the Chalice Well.

July 1992
Peter Pracownik's shop, Albion Gallery, in Northload Street.

Sat 15th Aug 1992, visit 16
"Woke at 6. Went to Glastonbury for the day with Val and Paul. I met her new kittens Vicky and Candy first. We left at 9.15 and went down via the motorway, arriving at 11.45. We had tea in the Abbey Tea Rooms first then visited the Abbey ruins. Then we had lunch in Blue Note- quiche and salad. Then we went for a walk over Chalice Hill and up the Tor. There were loads of people up there. We had tea at the White Spring then visited the Chalice Well gardens. Saw some lovely cuddly toy cats and dolphins, maybe next time. Left about 6.15 and came home via Bath, arrived about 8.40. Had a bath and collapsed in bed, it was a lovely day though".

I worked with Val in my last job- we were friends as soon as we met. Paul is her husband. When we were on the Tor someone had one of those little plastic soldiers with a toy parachute which they launched into the air. I noticed that a lot of people were all watching and speculating as to where it would land!

August 1992
Flow inside the wellhouse at the White Spring Aug 92
August 1992
Carved figures on the wall in the Glastonbury Experience

Sat 3rd Oct 1992, visit 17

"went to Glastonbury for the 17th time! Alarm went at 5.45 and it was a mad scramble to be at the bus stop by 6.10. I went down via Bath and Wells as I would have had 3 minutes to run for the bus in Bristol. A one day rover on the bus was £4.10. Got to G at 10.50 and Linda had just arrived. We went round the shops first and bought lots of things.  Stayed within spending limits though and came back with £10.00. We had lunch in Rainbow's End, both had spicy veg and rice. Then we went for a walk over Chalice Hill and up the Tor then to the White Spring tearoom. Then to the lovely Chalice Well gardens. The view from the Tor was wonderful. We went back to Margaret Kimber so I could get a dress I had seen earlier. Got the 4.20 bus and I was home at 8.30. It was mainly dry except for a shower at Chalice Well but wet at home. Had a bath and flopped into bed"
I bought tapes, lots of cards, hair toys, oils from Star Child, and the dress. Which I no longer have which is a shame as it was a lovely purple and green hippy dress.
Oct 1992
Oct 1992
Me on the tor and in the gardens.

Sat 19th/Sun 20th Dec 2002, visit 18
Sat 19th Dec

"Got up at 5.45 to go to Glastonbury for the weekend. Txai came at 6.20! I was in Bath for 8.40 so got 9.05 bus to Wells and was in G at about 10.40. I was staying at the Unicorn Light Centre on Wearyall Hill. So I went there first. My room was no. 1 with a view of the Tor and there were crystals and unicorns all over. I went back into town and wandered round shops, then met Linda at 12 and we did some shopping and had lunch in Rainbow's End. I had pizza and salad. Linda went at 2.30 and I put my shopping at the hotel then went to the Chalice Well Gardens. They are redoing the waterfall. Climbed the Tor and had tea at the White Spring. then finished my shopping. Got back to hotel about 6.15 and spent even pottering around and had a bath"

Sun 20th Dec

"Woke a couple of times in the night and I could make out the Tor. The hotel cat sat on my lap while I was having breakfast. Left hotel at 9.45. Went to the thorn and right onto Wearyall Hill first. Then went to the Abbey and spent nearly an hour there. Had tea and tea cake at the Abbey Tea rooms. Then had  a final wander round the shops. Got a bus at 12.35 to Bath and got home about 4.30. Spent eve unpacking, washing hair etc. The Unicorn Light Centre was lovely, I will stay there again".

I remember hoping it would snow all weekend but it didn't, I have never seen Glastonbury in the snow. I felt a bit flat some of the time I was there for some reason. I also forgot my reading glasses so I wasn't able to read for long (these days I wouldn't be able to read at all without them!). I bought more cards and oils from Star Child, and a Goddess calendar. I did stay at the Unicorn Light centre again in 1993 but it has closed now.

Dec 1992
The view from my window at the Unicorn Light Centre

Dec 1992
Work in progress on the new waterfall by the Vesica Pool in the gardens


  1. Hello Jae Fae, I thought I would come over and meet you properly, as you are obviuously a girl after my own heart!
    I did enjoy reading about your visits, that's what brought us here, we had a caravan at the foot of the Tor where we stayed every month for 6 years.
    I was interested to see that you stayed at the Unicorn centre, you must have walked past my house.
    I'm going back to read more now
    Blessings, Kath

  2. Aww- thank you for your lovely comments :) I am one of those people who has to keep going back to Glastonbury, it calls me often. I think I may retire down there. I love reading your blog about living there :)

    I was sad that the Unicorn light centre closed, but I love staying at Little St. Michaels when I do stay over :)

    Blessings, Jackie X