Wednesday 8 February 2012

August 12th 2009, Visit 62

This was another meeting someone visit, this time one of my fave travel writers, who was writing a book about the UK, and asked the members of his maillist to suggest places to visit. I replied and said "Glastonbury", he replied and said "Yes!" but it tool us about a year to arrange a date.

From my LJ entry

I signed up to his newsletter some time ago, he is one of my fave travel writers, I have read all his books (some more than once). About a year ago, he emailed his subscribers to say he is applying for British citizenship, his wife is English and he is settled here now. He is writing a book about the UK and he wanted his readers help, with suggestions about places to visit. I emailed back and of course I said I thought he should go to Glastonbury.. and he agreed. what with one thing and another, him being busy and me being busy, it has taken till now to sort out a date, but we finally did. Today I went down to Glastonbury (I was up at 5am), met him on arrival, and gave him a guided tour (or Tor). Starting with coffee in Heapheys, one of my fave cafes. We went to the well and Tor with a flying visit to the (closed) white spring. On the tor, about half way up, I met quite by chance a lovely lady called Gita who I worked with in my last job! She lives near me so we have met on the bus a few times but to meet in Glastonbury- we were both amazed! We had lunch in my fave eatery, Rainbow's End, went in a handful of shops, then had a lovely long wander round the Abbey ruins and grounds. All the way I was telling him snippets of history and about the legends. It was a lovely day and he was delightful, really laid back and easy to chat to. So I may well be in his new book when it comes out. We travelled back as far as Didcot together, talking travel writing all the way!

I took some photos of course so my new camera has been properly tried and tested now! (I had just got my current Canon Powershot 110SX)

A handful of purchases were made. Lunar Moon Hare calendar 2010 by Wendy Andrew which is gorgeous, another pair of double later silk trousers, there was only one pair left, these are green fabrics. Mystical Times magazine, a little pilgrim guide, and a Glastonbury guide put together by the Pilgrims centre.


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009


Glastonbury 4th visit of 2009



2 comments:

  1. It is lovely to see a place nearby though another's eyes. This was originally posted quite some time ago. Are you thinking of visiting again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am :) I am a bit behind with getting my visit reports on here, but hope to catch up soon then post some entries about other magical places too :) I last visited in January and hope to go back down again in March too.

      Delete