Tuesday 13 December 2011

23rd May 2009,visit 60!!!!!

The first entry not copied over from my website! Virgin territory now folks.


[info]So we had a lovely day yesterday, once we got to Glastonbury that is. Bex got to Bristol OK. My train was packed though and running late just because of the sheer numbers of people who were getting on it. It was chaos and some bright spark had decided to move some of the seat reservations around so a family who had reserved seats all together found other people sat in their seats. Sadly when the guard came round he didn't try and sort it out. The me me me of some members of the human race never ceases to appall me. Some people really do have an "I'm all right Jack, stuff you" attitude. Am I rare in being the sort of person who would never dream of doing something like that? We were only 15 minutes late at Bristol in the end. The train was going on down to Penzance and a train from Didcot and Swindon straight to Penzance is rare, they usually branch off at Reading.

Then came the fun of getting on the bus. Bex got on OK at the bus station but it was then touch and go whether I would get on at Temple Meads, as there were loads of people waiting. In the end I did, and it turned out the bus before had been involved in an accident. They let a couple more people on at the next stop then had to keep telling people the bus was full. So I stood all the way to Wells which actually was OK, it was very hot on the bus but I was by an open window and by a pole so I had something to hang onto. The bus emptied out in Wells and I was actually able to go and say hello to Bex properly!

We started off with coffee in Heapheys which is one of my regular things to do. Then we had an amble round the shops. Summer of Love has closed but there is now a music shop there selling drums and shamanic bits and pieces which is really nice. I was on a tight budget so purchases were modest.. latest copies of "Avalon" and "Fae" magazing, a little pouch with hares on it to keep my camera in, and a gorgeous hare cuddly toy scented with camomile and lavender from Liz's shop. I will have to take photos. We had lunch in Rainbow's End, I had a piece of yummy cheesy quiche and salad and elderflower presse.

Then we headed for the Tor, with a stop at the lovely little St. Margaret's Chapel which isn't often open these days. The Tor was covered in buttercups! I have never seen so many! We took it easy climbing up as it was quite warm, and the views were amazing, Quantock Hills and beyond, and you could see the coast of Wales, it isn't that often I have seen that. There were lots of people up there. We spent a fair bit of time there, it feels like being on top of the world. Then we went and had a look in the White Spring wellhouse. They have stripped out the inside so it looks like a reservoir chamber again, I do hope they might do more with it. The Chalice Well Gardens were gorgeous, so many bright colours and things in bloom. I do love it there. I made one more purchase, a really nice candle and the new toilet block is open except there didn't seem to be any water from the taps in the basins! 

Journey home was much smoother. We left a bit earlier than we needed to as with there being a bus missing we didn't want to wait for the best bus then find it didn't arrive. I had time to get a coffee when I got to Temple Meads and the train was much quieter. A group of really laddish youths got on at Swindon though and they were dire. Loud, uncouth, (belching etc), just obnoxious to decent citizens- and they probably thought they were so cool. Thankfully I managed to stay out of their way! There were plenty of other people about anyway. 


I think of this visit as the buttercup visit as the tor was covered with them


Glastified
Bex took this for me and I love this photo


Glastonbury window


Glastonbury shops


Glastonbury Experience courtyard


St. Margaret's Chapel


Glastonbury Tor


Glastonbury Tor


Glastonbury Tor


Glastonbury Tor


white spring, Glastonbury


white spring, Glastonbury


Chalice Well, Glastonbury


Chalice Well, Glastonbury


Chalice Well, Glastonbury



No comments:

Post a Comment