Tuesday 3 April 2012

Sat/Sun 10/11 July 2010, visit 66

A special visit this time to celebrate a landmark birthday a few days later, my half century on the planet.

Arwen and I have had the most lovely weekend in Glastonbury. We got up at the crack of doom yesterday but it was worth it as we were there just after 10 so had a whole day to do things. Drinks at Hepaheys on arrival, shopping, checked in at the George and Pilgrims and then freshened up a bit. Then had two lovely hours in the Chalice Well Gardens with a little visit to the Goddess Temple. 

Then in the evening it was to The Tor where my friends from home, Anne and her hubby Geoff,  blog friends Anita and Sue and Sue's  parner Si joined us for the Picnic on the Tor. It was blowy up there, it is always blowy to some degree up there but we managed to find a sheltered spot just below the brow of the hill, though there was a danger of there being low flying paper plates over Somerset. A beagle dog came and joined us too! We ate and drank and made merry. The sun decided not to play and went down behind a cloud but we didn't mind. Then at the foot of the tor at dusk we batwatched for a while, and saw a few, think they were all pippistrelles. Thank you all for coming, it was just what I wanted to do for my landmark birthday, it was lovely :)) 

On Sunday Arwen and I had a lovely cooked breakfast at the hotel, then as we didn't have to check out till 10.30, we left our cases there and had a little wander to the Abbey shop and a drink at Heapheys before heading back to Bristol on the bus. And there we parted ways :(( Arwen flew back to Inverness and is safely home now... but is coming back next year :)) I got the train to Didcot where I then had to sit for an our because some brain dead eejit or eejits decided that placing an obstruction on the line at West Drayton would be fun, and all the trains were delayed. I drank my bottle of iced tea and had a snack, and read my book so it wasn't too bad. Got home about 3.20.

We think our bathroom was haunted too. It was behind a very mysterious black door in the corner of our room (we had the Monks Cell). First Arwens bottle of shampoo was in the sink and there was no way it could have fallen in there. Then something I had definitely put in the bin was lying on the floor. Then my towels were on the floor and I left them hanging on the towel rail. In the middle of the night I could hear noises which sounded as if they were coming from our bathroom, it sounded like someone getting a drink of water... but Arwen was all tucked up in her bed asleep. We could hear slight noises from the bathroom next door, but the ones in the night really did sounds as if they were in our bathroom.


Chalice Well
Re-re-re-re reading my fave book of all time at the Chalice Well


Chalice Well


Chalice Well


Chalice Well
Arwen in the gardens


Chalice Well


Birthday picnic on Glastonbury Tor
The picnic party minus Si who took the photo


Birthday picnic on Glastonbury Tor
Lots of scrummy food (and we took all our rubbish home with us!!)


Birthday picnic on Glastonbury Tor
Us minus Geoff who took the photo this time


Birthday picnic on Glastonbury Tor
Si and the dog who joined us


Birthday picnic on Glastonbury Tor
Sue and Si


Birthday picnic on Glastonbury Tor
Arwen and I- we both wore bindis


Birthday picnic on Glastonbury Tor
Arwen, Anita, Sue, Si, Geoff and Anne


George and Pilgrims, Glastonbury
Me in our haunted room



3 comments:

  1. amazing post :)
    I really love these photos!!

    http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks as though you had a lovely time! I went up to Glastonbury Tor on my 40th birthday (12 years ago!)It was very cold being December but I loved it and felt it marked the occasion perfectly. Lovely photo of you in your haunted room. :)
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete